Skip to main content

The River Line Historic Area embraces historic and natural resources West of the Chattahoochee River to unite the community as a place of distinction linking Vinings, Smyrna, and Mableton, Georgia

Home
Fundraiser - Historic Cemeteries
Neighborhoods
History
Historic Resources
The River Line
The Shoupades
Parks & Natural Resources
Trails
The Master Plan
Maps
About Us
What You Can Do
Calendar
Links
Site Map

 

History

relevant to

 The River Line Historic Area        

                                                                                

  
 Thomas Hooper, Sr.
1802-1879  
Daniel Roberts Turner
1808-1889 

The Hoopers

The Turners
The 1851 "Cobb County Digest" shows Thomas Hooper, Sr. owned 531 acres along the Chattahoochee River.

 

The 1851 "Cobb County Digest" shows Daniel R. Turner owned 749 acres along the Chattahoochee River.  Daniel operated the Mayson-Turner ferry across the Chattahoochee at today's Veteran's Memorial Hwy.




1832 Cobb County Land Lottery


Prior to 1832 the Cherokee Indians occupied Cobb County.  Cobb County is divided by Districts and further subdivided by land lots. The River Line Historic Area involves land from both the 17th and 18th Districts and the number of 40 acre land lots are numerous and have yet to be counted.

 

 

1844 Mayson-Turner Ferry


This is a picture of the Mayson -Turner Ferry which operated from 1844 to 1897 at the location of the Veterans's Memorial Hwy (former Bankhead Hwy.) at the Chattahoochee River.  Calhoun Turner and John Hooper are in the picture. 

 
1845 The Western and Atlantic Railroad



The Western and Atlantic Railroad begins operation from Chattanooga, TN to Terminus (Atlanta, GA).  It was the only railroad in Georgia during the Civil War in the 1860's. It served as a military supply line and pathway for the Campaign for Atlanta invasion by the Federals
.
 

1864 July - Civil War at the Chattahoochee River




The Chattahoochee River was General Sherman's last formidable natural barrier enroute to capture Atlanta.  Johnston's River Line was the last line of Confederate defense in Cobb County along the West side of the river as shown by the red line on the map above.  This is the only place worldwide where Shoupades were built, and a few are accessible to the public today at Shoupade Park and River Line Park.
1883

Thomas Hooper Jr. sells the property at 5811 Oakdale Rd. to John H. Turner, oldest son of Daniel Turner, the ferry owner.

 
 
1905 to 1947 Electric Street Cars


The Atlanta Northern Railway Company operated an electric street car service between Atlanta and Marietta Square with a stop at Carmichael's General Store, now the location of Trolley Line Park.
 
 

1912 The Log Cabin Community Sunday School


Established on Log Cabin Road, where it remains today.

 


2005 The River Line Historic Area

logo is publicly displayed for the first time on street signs at The Enclave at Oakdale and Oakdale Bluffs neighborhoods.